Angkor, CambodiaAn eight day Photographic Expedition around Angkor with award-winning Photographer John McDermott
A Photo Expedition around Angkor, Cambodia – £2550.00
This is a 8 day / 7 night tour. WPA has partnered with award-winning photographer John McDermott to offer enthusiastic photographers a private eight-day photo expedition and workshop through the Angkor Archaeological park and surrounding areas led by John himself.
- Photograph magnificent ancient stone temples enveloped by giant, twisting roots of jungle trees.
- Experience village life and capture the faces and customs of the Khmer people.
- Explore the unique floating villages and ecology of Southeast Asia’s largest lake.
Daily Itinerary[su_row][su_column size=”1/2″]Day 1: Arrival & Welcome Dinner Day 2: Angkor Thom Day 3: Outer Temples Day 4: Tonle Sap Lake[/su_column] [su_column size=”1/2″]Day 5: Rolous & Koh Ker Day 6: Preah Vihear Day 7: Personal Exploration Day 8: Departure[/su_column][/su_row]
You’ll be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel to relax with our welcome package, which includes detailed information on the areas we will visit. We’ll meet in the early evening at my gallery over a few glasses of wine before we go for dinner together at one of my favorite restaurants. (Meals: _/_/D) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 2: The Glories of Angkor Wat & Angkor Thom
Siem Reap This is your introduction to the most impressive sights at Angkor: the awe-inspiring Angkor Wat, as well as incredibly beautiful temples like Banteay Kdei, the Bayon and others. We’ll have a morning shooting session and a late afternoon session, when the light is best. During the heat of the day, we’ll return you to the hotel for lunch and free time in the early afternoon, when you can freshen up, edit your photos, or just relax. (Meals: B/_/D) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 3: Outside Angkor Thom
Siem Reap Today we will continue to photograph prominent temples like Preah Khan as well as some more solitary ones in the outer areas of the archeological zone. After the long morning excursion, we’ll return to your hotel for lunch, and then editing and/or relaxing. Later in the afternoon we take in the breath-taking sunset from the ancient hilltop temple of Phnom Krom (weather permitting).. (Meals: B/L/D) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 4: Life on the Tonle Sap Lake
Tonle Sap If Angkor is the heart of Cambodia, the Tonle Sap is the lungs. Each year the lake takes life-giving water from the Mekong, expanding to five times its size, replenishing the environment. Close to a million people live on the lake in traditional fishing communities, and it’s home to one of the world’s unique ecosystems. We’ll board wooden boats and sail to the drowned forest of Kampong Phluk, a fishing village that has responded to the lake’s yearly expansion and contraction by living on houses on stilts. After lunch, we’ll return to Siem Reap for a free afternoon and evening, where you can explore on your own, relax at the hotel, or meet me for a private photo consultation – whether to troubleshoot, address particular issues, or go over your portfolio. In the evening we will take you to the Cambodian Phare Circus: a fabulous mixture of dance, music, culture and acrobatics. This is one show that should not be missed during a visit to Cambodia. . (Meals: B/L/_) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 5: Rolous and Koh Ker
Koh Ker Today we’ll head farther afield, shooting at more remote temples such as the Bakong Temple at Roluos. From here we will travel northwest to the legendary 6-tiered Koh Ker temple, which is unlike any other in Cambodia. We then drive to the province of Preah Vihear for one night so we’re ready to explore Preah Vihear temple in the morning. (Meals: B/L/D) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 6: Preah Vihear and Beng Mealea
Preah Vihear We’ll enjoy the views and shoot Preah Vihear in the magical early morning light before continuing our journey to the forest-covered temple of Beng Mealea. Arriving back in Siem Reap in the late afternoon, you will have the evening to enjoy as you wish. You may use this time to compile your photos from the previous days and prepare your entries for the slide show we will have the following evening. (Meals: B/L/_) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 7: Personal Exploration
Siem Reap Today you’ll have the freedom to photograph any location you choose, revisit some favorite spots, explore new sites, or work on your images. I’ll have many suggestions if you want them, and will be happy to offer assistance in post processing. There will also be a team of tuk-tuk drivers to take you where you wish should you want to go out. In the evening we will have a group slide show and farewell dinner, a wonderful occasion for everyone to share their work. (Meals: B/_/D) [su_divider top=”no” style=”dotted” divider_color=”#60a4d1″ size=”1″]
Day 8: Departure
Today you are again free to enjoy yourself as you wish, depending on your individual flight schedule. We will take you to the airport for your departing flight home. We hope that you had a fabulous time on this incredible photo adventure and that the memories and photos you took in Cambodia will have made a lasting impression.
When you come on this photo tour, you’re my guest, and I want you to have the best possible experience – of the country, of the temples, and of capturing the spirit of one of the most enigmatic historical sites on the planet. We will visit some of my favourite temples and villages, at times of day when we can find the solitude necessary to create meaningful photographs. Angkor has changed since the days when you could sit by yourself at Angkor Wat for hours and watch the sunset. So that means being flexible, and if one spot isn’t working for us photographically, I’ll change the itinerary on the spot and find a place that does.
We’ll travel through Angkor by tuk-tuk, in my opinion the best way to see the temples in open-air comfort. At other times we’ll travel by car, minivan or boat, whatever the situation calls for.
Your accommodation will be in luxury and comfort at the Borei Angkor resort. There will be individual rooms for all workshop participants. Most workshops double up their participants in rooms and charge a single supplement extra for a separate room, but we feel everyone deserves a little solitude after a long day’s work.
The workshops are small: a maximum of ten people. It makes for better camaraderie, more flexibility to move quickly from place to place, and it gives me time to work with each person individually.
When you’re traveling, it’s hard to resist the temptation to cram everything in without a break. We do have a pretty intensive schedule, but I’ve made sure that you’ll have time to edit your photos and share them during our photo review evenings. I’ve also made sure to create breaks so you’ll have time to relax and explore on your own, shop for art or mementos, or re-visit one of your favourite places to shoot.
Angkor photo expedition 2016
- 3rd – 11th December 2016
Who is this for?
This is for anyone who has ever dreamed of going on a photo expedition and of taking professional level photographs.
What you need to bring
- Camera – preferably a DSLR or high caliber mirrorless camera
- User manual – Every camera is different and so are their menus. It pays to have the manual there so we know how to access the technical information.
- Laptop – with Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop.
- Good hiking or walking shoes, hat, sunblock, and insect repellent.
- Plenty of film if you are using a film camera. There is no place to buy any here. Six (6) passport photographs
Included in the Price:
- Accommodation – You’ll be staying at the Borei Angkor Resort, voted as one of the top 25 hotels in the world for service.Our overnight in Preah Vihear will be at the Preah Vihear Boutique Hotel.
- Food – Three meals a day beginning with dinner on Day 1 and ending with breakfast on Day 8, except lunch on day 2 and 7 and dinner on Day 4 and 6, when everyone is free to explore and dine as they choose (I have plenty of recommendations).
- Transportation to and from the airport – We’ll be there to pick you up and drop you off and welcome you at the hotel.
- Transportation during the expedition – We’ll be traveling by tuk-tuk, car, minivan, and boat. On your free afternoons, we’ll have tuks-tuks standing by should you need them.
- Entrance fees – All entrance fees throughout.
- Welcome package – A little something to help smooth your entry process.
- WiFi – available everywhere in Siem Reap
This expedition is designed to be headache free for you so that you can focus on photography and enjoying yourself. Please Note: You must have a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining. Please bring 6 passport size photos with you, for your visa requirements.
Not included in the Price:
- Visa – The simplest way is to get your Cambodian visa on arrival. Bring US$30 in cash and a passport photo. The alternative is to obtain your visa online at https://www.evisa.gov.kh and you can feel relaxed as you breeze through immigration.
- Drinks – Alcoholic beverages are not included, with the exception of the welcome reception at my gallery on the first evening.
- Room service – laundry, or any other hotel services you order will be charged to your room for you to pay on checking out.
- Tips – I’ll tip restaurant staff when we dine as a group, but other than that, please remember that tips are much appreciated and an important source of income to the Cambodians. 10% is a normal rate.
- Camera supplies and repair – Make sure your cameras are in good condition before you get here and that you have all the accessories you might need. The nearest professional camera shops and services are in Bangkok.
- Health insurance, trip insurance, camera insurance, etc – All these are up to you.
- Money – US dollars are the standard currency here and can be obtained at ATMs and banks. Cambodian riel is used as small change.